678 Members.
0 Blog Posts.
4 Files.
111 Discussions.

You are a Member.

Bilateral Cochlear Implants

- Group Forums

CommentAuthorBillyRue CommentTime Mar 12th 2016  
I enjoy useing iAngelSound. I was activated 2/ 15/2016. And am able to hear and associate sounds that I have not used in years. For telephone rehab there is a good program at the my Cochlear dash board.
CommentAuthorJohn Baich CommentTime Jan 11th 2011  
I was fortunate to have had many hearing years prior to loosing my hearing; however, a couple of things I tried that might work for you.

First and most important I would take time every day...still do to this day, to go sound exploring. I love to go out in the world and simply listen, find the sounds and experience them. It is fun and I believe it has helped my sound discrimination. Sometimes I look like a dog hearing a new sound, tilting my head gaining the benefit of the spatial diversity that bilateral offers. I do this exercise with no expectations and have a great time.

For speech I would use the direct audio input on my CIs and with captioning to help watch talk TV. Once I become comfortable with the subject I close my eyes and follow the conversation. If I get lost I look at the captioning that always lags a bit to figure out what word I just heard. I think this is an exercise that needs to be repeated from time to time.

Finally, music...oh I love my music. I spend a lot of time listening to music. The more I hear the more I love it. I am glad my iPod is not mechanical as it would be worn out.

Explore and enjoy, the rest seems to occur semi automatically when you're not worrying too much about it.

John
CommentAuthorsrwalton CommentTime Jan 11th 2011  
Hi I have bilateral CI now and I have been profound deaf since I was 1 year old. I was wearing hearing aids since I was 5 years old. I got my first CI I think 2007 then my second in 2008. It was very overwhelmed of hearing so many different sounds and trying to figure out what they are. I have been reading lips all my life and getting CI I was hoping to be able to listen without reading lips and be able to hear on the phone. I am learning to listen but not hard enough. I think it takes alot to get motivate to listen better. I couldn't afford to go to speech therapy to learn to listen so does anyone have any ideas what will help to listen on own without going to speech therapy?