678 Members.
0 Blog Posts.
4 Files.
111 Discussions.

You are a Member.

Bilateral Cochlear Implants

- Group Forums

CommentAuthorBillyRue CommentTime Jun 6th 2016  
When I wore HA I hated to use the phone of any kind. My loving wife would make calls for me.
I was implanted with nucleus 6 and then activated on Feb. 15, 2016. I have the wireless phone clip and use it with great success. There is a wonderful tutorial on the Cochlear site to use for practice on the phone. I have an iPhone 5 and it also does well with the telcoil and in speaker mode.
CommentAuthorMeribeth CommentTime Jul 10th 2013  
Does a anyone use a iphone cell phone sucesscully. Thinking about getting one
CommentAuthorSharonC -Edmondson Cochlear Volunteer- Ambassador CommentTime Sep 27th 2011  
Panasonic has come out with a great landline wireless phone. Ironman can give you all the details on it. Much better than what I had.
CommentAuthorSharonC -Edmondson Cochlear Volunteer- Ambassador CommentTime Sep 27th 2011  
Never could get pass the buzz with neck loop haven't tried the quatro yet. But I am one of the fortunate ones and can hear without the assistance of a device. Margo for me the second device I disconnect when I am using phone as I get a clearer converstion. Of course with a device it would be in both ears which makes a major difference. Would love to find the right device to enhance the hearing I have using both ears.
CommentAuthorDebbie M. - Cochlear Ambassador (PA) CommentTime Sep 27th 2011  
I definitely hear better with 2 ears and with my neck loop. I have the Plantronics amplifier for use with my office phone so it's been GREAT to help with clarity. I used to be able to hear on the phone with my HA alone but have difficulty with my CI alone. So, thank goodness for now I've been using the loop and practicing with the cell/regular phone with one CI alone...It's a work in progress but slowly coming along.
CommentAuthorJudy G. Martin - Hearing Loss Advocate CommentTime Aug 7th 2011  
This is not a tip for bilateral users, because I am bimodal; however, it still applies. I used a blue tooth neckloop for my Blackberry cellphone because of the buzzing interference if I used it against my ear with the t-coil on. Like some others I couldn't give my BB with its qwerty keyboard. Last November Sprint came out with the new clamshell-shaped model. The shape makes all the difference in the world because there is no longer any interference and I no longer need to use my neckloop. This is the case with all cellphones, that the flip cell phones are better for t-coil usage than the bar-shaped ones.
CommentAuthorRaelene Miller CommentTime Jun 13th 2011  
Ah, talk abt talkin on the phone, i dont talk on phone not just yet.. cuz Im used txting message than talkin so im used txting message for 6 yrs with virgin mobile. when i was w/ my man i can hear speakerphone when he call his mom from inside at his m/d house i can hear with not the t-coil yet...
CommentAuthorwayne f durr CommentTime Mar 25th 2011  
A CELL PHONE WITH EAR HOOKS WORKS GREAT, BUT I USUALLY PUT THE CELL PHONE ON SPEAKER AND TALK TO EVERYONE.IT IS REALLY A NICE WAY FOR A DEAF PERSON TO TALK AND HEAR THE WORLD AROUND THEM. YES I AM A BILATERAL PATIENT ONE OF THE FIRST IN LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK.
CommentAuthorCarol F - Cochlear Ambassador - Volunteer since 2003 CommentTime Aug 28th 2008  
I just hold the phone to my microphone and don't need any special connections. One thing I did which I really like is I had my audi set one of my programs to 100% t-coil so I can hear very well in noisy situations. I like being able to hear my own voice while speaking on the phone and that is possible with bilateral CIs. If it is noisy, I will have my other processor on AS and the one I am using the phone with, will be 100% t-coil. This give me the best possible hearing of everything I need to hear.
CommentAuthorJim P. CommentTime Aug 27th 2008  
I have to use a variety of phones thru the course of my day. If there is a lot of noise around me I just use the T.coil and flip off the magnet on my other side. For cell phone or quiet home use I do nothing, I just postion the earpiece of the phone where I can hear caller. Not too fancy but works for me when in a hurry.
CommentAuthorCindy W - Cochlear Volunteer CommentTime Aug 5th 2008  
I've recently discovered a way to use the phone better. I downloaded Sprint Relay WebCapTel on my computer and use it for VCO (voice carry over) calls. I am finding it to work way better than my Captel phone. Try it out...
info: www.sprintrelay.com
Register: www.sprintcaptel.com/registration.asp
CommentAuthorMargoK-Cochlear Volunteer Ambassador CommentTime Jul 31st 2008  
I appreciate all of the responses on phone use. I have another phone use question. When you use the phone as a bilateral ci user, does the ear that doesn't have the phone on help in understanding on the phone or does that only happen if you use dual Noizfree or T-links as an assistive device?
CommentAuthorLisa M-Cochlear Volunteer CommentTime Jul 10th 2008  
No- I dont and I also have the querty keyboard. I think it is because I have the CDMTA which eliminates alot of buzzing. I have my phone service by Verizon. they use the CDMA (I am not sure if that is the right acronyms)
CommentAuthorCindy W - Cochlear Volunteer CommentTime Jul 8th 2008  
Lisa,
Do you have buzzing with your Blackberry? I got the 8803 because it has the querty keyboard and I tend to send a lot of text messages. If I could eliminate the buzz on tcoil I'd be in great shape!
CommentAuthorLisa M-Cochlear Volunteer CommentTime Jul 7th 2008  
ditto on the Blackberry!! I have the 8703e and it is wonderful.